This is not the blog you're looking for

I have moved, and you can find new entries, comments etc. at www.sandrewswann.com come over and check it out.



Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wherein some Smart Bitches give me romantic advice

You may have noticed, even before the whole Cassie Edwards flap, that I follow the blog, Smart Bitches Who Love Trashy Books. It is, as advertised, smart, bitchy, and chock full of the kind of humor I tend to appreciate. Well, on said blog they have a feature called GS vs. STA (aka Good Shit vs. Shit to Avoid) where their readership asks the massed genius that is the Smart Bitches for genre recommendations in a particular subset of romance. Today, they posted my query, since, as an accidental romance author, I need to brush up on the genre I find myself writing in. The comment thread so far may interest SF/F fans, since there's a heavy overlap. I even got one recommendation for Poul Anderson.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I read the thread of recommendations for you at the SBTB site. Being an F/SF author, I'm sure you realize that most of the recs you received were in the F/SF field. Being a romance reader, I've read a few paranormal (PNR)romances. With few exceptions, they're shite (sorry but I can't remember the 1 or 2 exceptions -- been too long since I've had the fortitude to read one). Most romance authors can't worldbuild worth shit. However, they're usually pretty good at characterization (most male SF authors aren't - sorry. Never read any of your books so this is not a comment on your writing style) So whatever you write (you being an F/SF author) will be 100% better than a typical PNR. So go for it!

I like your attitude/style so will try one of your books. Hope to see you at Denvention!