This is not the blog you're looking for

I have moved, and you can find new entries, comments etc. at www.sandrewswann.com come over and check it out.



Thursday, December 06, 2007

Successfully Clawing My Way Up From the Bottom of the Midlist

At least that’s how it’s looking. With help from my kick-ass agent, Eleanor, I’ve sold Wolfbreed and a subsequent novel to Anne Groell at Bantam/Spectra for an advance a bit more than three times what DAW was giving me. Contracts are being written as we speak, and by this time next month, I will be the newest author at Bantam. Or, at least one of me will be. We haven’t talked bylines yet, though Eleanor thinks that Wolfbreed may be an S. A. Swiniarski book.

We will pause this blog post for an important message:
WAHOOO!!!!
We now return to your regularly scheduled blog.

We can add to this news the amusing wrinkle that will probably make a few friends of mine’s head ‘splode:

I’ve become a romance author.

Ok, it’s dark paranormal historical romance (and how deep can we subclass a genre?) but still. Now, from earlier posts you might have gathered that I was expecting this. I was. But I don’t think anyone else was. This includes Anne at Bantam who approached the subject of genre very gingerly; in her words “Some boys are scared by the label.” She obviously expected some resistance on my end. Frankly I am the last person to look down on anyone’s genre, and given the way SF has been treated historically, I think any SF writer that peers down his nose at romance writers is an arrogant twit.

7 comments:

Maureen McHugh said...

So does this mean your book is going to have a sexy guy cover?

S Andrew Swann said...

Jury's out on that.
Hell my last talk with Anne suggested that it might be marketed more mainstream--

Can you say abstract graphic design?

Anonymous said...

Congrats. I started to re-read Forests of the Night. Got curious about what I've missed in the last decade and now I find that you've been writing lots of interesting stuff. My backlist just got a little bit bigger.

Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the book deal!... and having exposure in a another category could be very good. Bold move on the publisher's part.

Anonymous said...

Finished up 'Teek' last night and was, of course and as usual, impressed.

Way to go, scoring bank on this upcoming novel! Shocking. Or is it? Be sure and help them chop down the trees so we can get our hands on Wolfbreed ASAP.

Oh and Fabio needs a job, should you need a cover model. Please make sure his head is severed first.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! :-)

Yrs
Martin, Sweden

RobRoy said...

Congrats! Can't wait for the latest and greatest to add to my collection.