This is not the blog you're looking for

I have moved, and you can find new entries, comments etc. at www.sandrewswann.com come over and check it out.



Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Taking a breather/Title juggling

Well, since I finished up the Wolfbreed rewrite, I haven't done much writing. I guess I just needed to rest the old story muscle for a bit. Also, the next thing I'm working on is Heretic, the second book in the Apotheosis Trilogy. This means going straight from a rewrite of a medieval historical dark fantasy-cum-romance into a full-blown post-singular space opera. If I didn't take a bit of a break, I'd probably pull something from the cognitive whiplash. I plan to get going on that next week, but in the meantime I've been playing with the Title Scorer on Lulu.com.

As any reader of this blog knows, I've been racking my brain for a title for Wolfbreed #1 now that we've decided that will be a series title. I have been playing with titles (most of which suck) and now I have at lest some objective measure of how "good" they are.

Here's some examples with prospective titles I've been kicking around:

  • Should any Nightmares Come scores 59.3% (phrase comes from the book, but Bantam nixed it as too horrory)
  • What the Darkness Brings scores 63.7% (from the same place, a lullaby I wrote for the book, probably still too horrory)
  • Lilly's Song scores 76.9% (Lilly is the heroine's name, and again it refers to the lullaby.)
  • Black Cross, Crimson Heart scores 69% (A pattern that I'm playing several variants of, "Black Cross" being a reference to the Teutonic Order.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lilly's Song scored highest? The Title Scorer needs to take into account the "dismemberment theme" in the original draft work that you've mentioned before (unless that theme is found in the "song"). Seriously, they all seem to work, and I agree the last three are the best of the four, but what do I know.

Anonymous said...

Lilly's Wrought