This is not the blog you're looking for

I have moved, and you can find new entries, comments etc. at www.sandrewswann.com come over and check it out.



Saturday, October 27, 2007

When book covers do it right

Working on Apotheosis (going well, thank you for asking) I've found myself digging in my old notes for Hostile Takeover. And I found a little sketch I made of the character Flower, when I was figuring out what the Volerans looked like.

Now I'm not a very good artist (I was a lot better before I decided to concentrate on writing some 20 years ago) but I thought it was a neat example of how sometimes a cover artist can actually tap into what the author was thinking. (Opposed to my prior post on book covers.)

Here's my little sketch:


And here's a detail of the cover of Profiteer, (one of my favorite book covers after the one for Dwarves) showing the same character:


The cool thing, Jim Burns never saw the sketch I made, he was going off of my description in the book. That was pretty cool.

I just wish he hadn't made Tetsami (a short Asian woman) look like a pissed of Sigourney Weaver.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that the blue lady was a distorted image of Shane. I guess I don't have the vision thing.

S Andrew Swann said...

Well, that then leaves the question who's in the powered armor on the back side of the cover. . .

Then, again, the person in the powered armor does look Asian.

Wht do I know, I just wrote the thing .